Saturday, June 21, 2014

Direct Instruction, Tech Centers, & TPACK

I think direct instruction is necessary, but can easily be overused.  I think students need some kind of engagement and way to make learning meaningful.  Spitting information at them for hours on end with no break in teaching method is, I think, not effective.  However, I do think I will use elements from the DI philosophy in my teaching (teacher instruction, guided practice, independent practice, accountability), but definitely mix in more hands-on activities where kids are "masters" of their own learning.  I think you'd definitely have to give direct instruction on how to use certain technologies, but then students can use independent practice to guide their own learning.

I thought the tech centers were very cool!  My favorites were the "Flip Your Science Class," and "Gamification of Math."  I think those are the two most likely activities I would incorporate into my classroom.  For the "Lego Robots" center, our group discussed that you could easily create a science lesson about force using the robot.  Our robot was programmed to kick his leg, so depending on the starting point and amount of rotations the leg made, the force would be different, and if an object was placed in line with the leg, would travel different distances (depending on the force).  Teaching students about how to make predictions and hypotheses could also be incorporated into this lesson.

At the "Flip Your Science Class," one idea we had for elementary school students was to have them watch a safety and instructional procedure video at home, and therefore come to class prepared to start the lesson (without extension explanation from the teacher).  Another idea was to have the class visit an interactive website prior to the beginning of a unit, so they are familiar with vocabulary and what they will be learning about.

Our problem-solving activity from the "Lego Simple Machines" center was to have students build a model of a vehicle that would not use gas or electricity. We built a car with a sail, so it would be run on only wind.  In the lesson, you could ask the students the advantages and disadvantages of their model to build critical thinking.

At last center, "Gamification of Math," we thought of a game with real-life application.  Have grocery ads from the newspaper in your classroom, and tell students they are going "shopping".  Give them a spending limit of $20, and instruct them to go "shopping," to make dinner.  They must buy a main dish, a side dish, and a dessert, and try to use up as much of their money as possible. As for a student math project, simply having them vote on a game they like to play at recess, and then (you, the teacher) incorporate math into it (they choose what kind of math ex- addition/subtraction/multiplication/division) will have them be invested in the project.

My TPACK is growing by learning about all of the new technologies, and ways to integrate them into the classroom. There are so many I hadn't even heard of prior to this class, and learning how to use them is very helpful.  I'm surprised that I am picking them up so quickly-I don't have much confidence with technology! Once I learned how to use it, I really liked Goggle Trek!


No comments:

Post a Comment